"We went through a total renovation, coincidentally, in the three years between the time I graduated and came back as a faculty member. The physical facilities were upgraded 100%, and now there's technology in all the classrooms."
Established in 1906, LSU Law Center has been a member of the Association of American Law Schools and approved by the American Bar Association since 1924.
Historical Highlights – LSU Law Center
1906 – LSU Law School created by LSU Board of Supervisors; originally located with main LSU campus in downtown Baton Rouge site (current grounds of the State Capitol)
1908 – LSU Law School moved to basement of the LSU Chemistry Building
1926 – Law School followed the University to its present campus
1937 – Law School moved to current, permanent campus on Highland Road. Building created by Leon Weiss, architect of the State Capitol. Designed in the style of the U.S. Supreme Court; additional building added to campus in 1969
School named for Paul M. Hebert, Dean of the Law School from 1937 – 1977, a former Acting President of LSU, and a Civilian Judge in the Nuremberg Tribunal
1977 – LSU Law School created as an autonomous campus of the Louisiana State University System
1977 –The school became a true Law Center, locating on its campus the Juris Doctor (J.D.) program, the foreign and graduate Master of Civil Law (LL.M.) program, the Center of Civil Law Studies, the Louisiana Law Institute (created by the Louisiana Legislature in 1938), Mineral Law Institute, the Louisiana Judicial College, and the Center of Continuing Professional Development (CLE).
1983 – LSU Law Center creates first LSU Law endowment fund
1999 – Louisiana Legislature authorizes increase in the Law Center tuition and adds substantial supplemental appropriations to operational budget
2002 – LSU Law Center became the sole U.S. law school, and one of only two in the Western Hemisphere, to award both the Juris Doctor (J.D.) and the Bachelor of Civil Law (B.C.L.) degrees reflecting its students’ education in both the Common and Civil Law traditions (Note: degree changed to Diploma in Civil Law (D.C.L.) in 2008)
2004 – LSU Law Center marked the completion of $17 million in major renovations to the Law Center campus, resulting in an expanded, modern complex that includes state-of-the-art technology and a Law Library that holds one of the richest comparative law collections in the nation.
Fall 2007 – Spring 2008 – Law Center plans and begins implementation of a major expansion of its clinical legal education program, incorporating live client clinics and externships; hires director of Clinical Legal Education Program
2008 – Legislature approves three-year, phased-in tuition increase and provides additional opportunities to support expanded clinical program
2009-10 – LSU Law faculty adopted programmatic changes designed to enhance the competitiveness of our students in an increasingly competitive legal employment market.
2012 – LSU Board of Supervisors and the Louisiana Board of Regents granted formal approval of LSU Law’s John P. Laborde Energy Law Center, the first such center in Louisiana and one of a handful operating in law schools nationwide.